YouTube is currently one of the more interesting ways to earn money online. If someone has an idea, charisma and self-denial, then with a bit of luck they will create a channel that will earn more and more money. It all looks very nice when viewed from the side. In fact, making videos on YouTube is a hard piece of bread, and it can be a long time from setting up your account to making your first profit. As in the standard world of entertainment, there are stars with great talent who will conquer YouTube from the very first moment, but these are exceptions. Earnings vary and in some cases they are in the thousands of zlotys and in others they are in the millions. What does it all depend on? First of all, on viewership. However, apart from viewership, there is something else that matters – monetization.
This term is sometimes seen on YouTube users’ channels as something terrible that can literally kill the revenue of a given video – regardless of viewership. This is the colloquial name for classifying movies and bargaining them by Google algorithms. How does it all work and how to avoid lowered monetization?
What is this monetization actually about?
Google automatically classifies the videos posted on YouTube. There are so many publications nowadays that you would have to hire an army of people who would watch over the added content. Therefore, everything has been automated. The algorithm works according to strictly defined rules and if the selected video file violates them, it receives a worse classification.
The algorithms are so advanced that they analyze not only the text content, but also the image and audio track. Therefore, if someone describes, for example, the method of creating an account at the VulkanBet casino, the program will classify it as promoting gambling and block some ads that do not match the characteristics of this movie at all.
The rules for tagging videos go much further. Google has a very strict validation policy in many different domains, which can sometimes lead to absurd situations. It is enough to imagine a situation in which someone creates a film on a historical theme, where swastikas appear. As a generally accepted prohibited mark internationally, the algorithm may conclude that the film promotes Nazism. In this case, it goes to the appropriate box, which deprives it of advertising, and thus – monetization drops practically to zero.
This situation is very controversial, because it can be interpreted as forcing the authors to behave and present content appropriately, every hour for free speech, for which the Internet is famous.However, there are ways to defend against such absurdities.
- Originality. If you want to avoid misinterpreting a certain graphic, it is best to use your original sources. If an image has been used before and has been classified as “negative”, it is likely to do so again – even if the movie has a completely different subject matter.
- Adequate description. The title and description of the film should not violate generally accepted ethical principles. This seemingly insignificant element, and it can have a huge impact on monetization.
- Providing links to sites that Google considers positive. Descriptions and videos often contain links to sites that are advertised. If such a site is found to be undesirable, a lower ranking may be obtained.
- Regularly check previously added files. Monetization rules are changing all the time. Therefore, a file that has received a green dollar may be deprived of it over time. Therefore, it is worth checking your files regularly and in the event of any changes, make corrections that will allow you to receive a positive classification.
- Get rid of problems with video files that got worse rating. Another controversy related to the monetary classification of films is that if there is enough “controversial” content on a given profile, the entire profile may receive such a classification, which automatically disqualifies films that do not contain such elements. Therefore, it is best to nip the problem in the bud and eliminate the video or edit it for positive monetization.
- You are not allowed to edit files that have already received monetization. If Youtube has given a positive opinion and detects that a user has tampered with such a file, it may conclude that someone wanted to cheat the system and the file would lose positive monetization.
If you consider all these issues, you can effectively eliminate the problems with classifying your videos on YouTube.
The algorithm is not perfect, but it is constantly evolving
The YouTube video classifier has some drawbacks, but these are regularly improved. Crafting the perfect tool is virtually impossible, so there will always be controversy. So far, expect YouTube’s biggest stars to create similar content. It is enough to look at the works of the crew of Karol “Friz” Wiśniewski or Marcin Dubiel. Simple challenges, telling about your life as a star, or contacts with other famous personalities. There is nothing ambitious about it, but it sells well, and YouTube has nothing to complain about.This is the biggest problem of YouTube today.
Political and ethical correctness is good, but it is worth drawing the boundaries between the apparent good and the real good – after all, no one wants to live in a world where everything is the same and nothing changes.
Know more: How to choose a gaming chair?.